Want to learn how one creator with a modest following generated over $330,000 in a year without relying on YouTube?
The digital world has unlocked countless new ways to monetize your content beyond just ads… whether you have 10 followers or 10 million—you can build multiple income streams that allow you to earn a full-time living doing what you love.
In this video, Jay Clouse of Creator Science shares the 7 revenue sources that comprised of his 6-figure income in 2022 as a creator with a relatively small (but mighty!) audience.
You’ll discover smart strategies to earn through affiliate marketing, digital products, royalties, services, sponsorships, memberships, and more.
Side note: Jay Clouse is one of my favorite creator-educators in the space. His Creator Science brand, and everything about it, is an inspiration to me. His advice is always spot-on, and he has a genuine, helpful demeanor. You’ll want to take notes on this one.
Revenue-Generating Strategies from the Video
- Affiliate marketing: Promote relevant products and services and earn commissions on sales. Software companies with subscription models can provide recurring passive income.
- Digital products: Online courses, ebooks, templates, and workshops let you sell your knowledge. List them on your own site or platforms like Skillshare and Udemy.
- Royalties: Earn passive income when someone benefits from your intellectual property, like online courses, books, music, designs, and patents.
- Services: Sell your skills and time through freelancing, coaching, or consulting. Start with your existing talents before building an audience.
- Sponsorships: Get paid by brands to promote or mention their products or services in your content. Aim for sponsors with high-ticket offers.
- Memberships: Provide exclusive access, community, and experiences for a subscription fee. Highly interactive so not fully passive.
- Patronage: Appreciative fans donate directly to say thanks. Creates goodwill, but yields minimal revenue.
Some of the Tools and Services Mentioned
- Buy Me a Coffee – for patronage donations
- Circle – software for building membership communities
- ConvertKit – email marketing and newsletter tool
- Udemy – online course marketplace
- Skillshare – online course marketplace
- Upwork – freelancing/services marketplace
- LinkedIn Learning – platform for online courses and royalties
Foster loyalty by actively engaging with your audience. Consistency and persistence are key.
Focus less on your subscriber count number, and more on the quality of the relationship.
A small, but engaged audience willing to invest in your work can be more valuable than a massive & passive viewership.
Consider selling creative services first, and using affiliate marketing. These are ways to start generating some revenue without spending… then over time, begin to add in digital products to help you scale.
Remember: with hard work and smart monetization strategies, you can absolutely earn a full-time living as a content creator, even without millions of YouTube subscribers.
So, did you think you needed tens of thousands of subscribers to start making money with content creation?
What do you feel is holding you back right now?